Other Places


Web Portal~>

"Awen yn codi o'r cudd, yn cydio'r cwbl"
- Waldo Williams
(Awen arising from hiding, everything binding)



ROSMERTA

 

ROSMERTA and MERCURY from a relief in Roman Gloucester.



Cup, vat and ladle

she brings to the feast,

offerings held out

to sup, to taste the mead

of prophecy, the welling spring

of inspiration, of validation.


Plucked harp strings resonate

for her, tuned to her plenty:

the flow of awen contained

in the cup she offers

because it is blessed by her

with the gift she brings


to the feast for which

there is no invitation

save the one held

by the harper, the divine son

of inspiration ─

it is for her he plays


and for us to hear

or not to hear

the rippling waves

of the harp, the breeze

on the flowing stream

which her cup holds.



3 comments:

  1. I like the image of Rosmerta at the feast and the mysterious invitation to Maponos. It interests me that Maponos is present but there is no mention of Lugus/Mercury with whom Rosmerta is paired.

    Of course I wondered whose feast it is. Is it the Otherworld feast, the feast of the King and Queen of Annwn? If it was it might give me a little more of an idea of how Rosmerta fits into the mythos I am working with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second Lorna's comment on the mystery and intrigue of Rosmerta's feast. The poetry of course must speak for itself, and it does echo with the strains of the plentiful season. I close my eyes and try to visualize the scene, and I feel like it's summer time, at night. My reading is probably way off.

    On a tangent, what is Mercury clutching to his chest?

    Thanks for more of your work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mercury is often depicted with a purse as well as with the caduceus and the cockerel which can be seen in this image. So a purse would be my best guess as to what he is holding.

      Delete

What do you think?